We are seeking a Legal Nurse Consultant who is interested in doing contract work to join our Healthcare and Medical Malpractice team and to provide support to our Environmental team for our Northshore office. As dictated by case load, the Legal Nurse Consultant will be available to and responsible for preparing medical record chronologies, assisting attorneys with discovery, educating attorneys in pertinent medical facts, and identifying issues pertaining to standards of care, causation, and damages in cases. All candidates must provide a stable work history. LNHC certification is preferred.
- You communicate clearly. You write well and speak eloquently. You are comfortable communicating in writing, on the phone, and in person;
- You work amiably and well as part of a team of attorneys, paralegals, and administrative staff members;
- You have the ability to balance a number of tasks in an efficient fashion using good time management skills, specifically including the ability to prioritize assignments and respond to and meet case/project deadlines;
- You are proficient with computers and related software, including knowledge and experience in using Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- You have strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- You have a positive attitude;
- You are able to work independently, with initiative, and without supervision;
- You are able to work on an as needed basis, and are available to respond to assignments quickly;
- You are able to delegate/supervise as appropriate;
- You are a thorough, persistent problem solver; and
- You maintain confidentiality as to the firm’s and its clients’ information
- All employees are expected to maintain compliance with the firm’s Mission, Vision, & Values, all firm policies & procedures, and related Non-Disclosure Covenants;
- Record case specific billable hours;
- Able to participate in case-related meetings, both in the office and by phone during regular business hours;
- Enter time logged in performing case specific billable hours, planned client development, or other firm required non-billable tasks into firm’s computerized billing system database on a daily basis; and
- Actively participate in firm meetings, and support legal team as necessary.
- Identify relevant medical records, hospital policies and procedures, and other essential documents to be reviewed;
- Review, summarize, and analyze medical records (per Medical Records Review Guidelines process);
- Identify the applicable standards of medical care;
- Identify case-specific deviations and adherences to those standards;
- Identify factors that caused or contributed to the alleged damages/injuries;
- Research medical literature related to case medical issues;
- Research and analyze validity and reliability of research studies relied upon by all parties;
- Prepare global analysis of medical aspect of case;
- Identify necessary medical witnesses;
- Prepare questions for meetings with medical witnesses;
- Attend interviews/meetings with medical witnesses;
- Prepare summary of meetings with medical witnesses;
- Review, summarize, and incorporate medical witnesses’ depositions into global analysis;
- Review/contribute to client evaluation reports, to ensure accuracy of medical facts/analysis;
- Draft interrogatories relevant to medical case issues;
- Investigate/recommend expert witnesses;
- Confirm engagement of expert witnesses & maintain rapport with their assistants;
- Prepare draft position papers for Medical Review Panels;
- Review and update witness lists from medical witness standpoint;
- Assist with/comment on to help support/refute medical witness testimony during trial;
- Make recommendations for development of medical library, as would assist with your medical case analyses;
- Develop knowledge and understanding of legal concepts, medical terminology, procedures, and the rules of various courts and other official agencies; and
- Develop familiarity with legal documents, including ability to enhance with medical analyses.
- Must be able to communicate and exchange information with co-workers, clients, and/or individuals outside the firm;
- Must be able to move and position self to accomplish tasks associated with carrying out essential job function listed in job description;
- Must be able to remain stationary for long periods of time; and
- Must be able to frequently move up to 10 pounds and occasionally move up to 20 pounds.
Curry, Caviness & Webb, APLC is an established AV-rated litigation firm serving clients in the New Orleans community and throughout the State of Louisiana. Our practice is primarily focused on corporate liability and insurance defense with particular emphasis on matters involving Healthcare and Medical Malpractice; Environmental Law; Class Actions; Oil & Gas; Toxic Torts, including Asbestos; Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material (NORM); Legacy lawsuits; Act 312; Employment Law; and Medicare Secondary Payer Compliance.
Since our founding nearly 40 years ago, we have consistently maintained a high-level record of success for our clients. Named as a 2018 Best Law Firm – Tier 1 for Medical Malpractice Defense by US News®, we pride ourselves on delivering high-quality legal services that address the unique needs of each of our clients. Our team of dedicated attorneys is supported by extraordinarily experienced, certified paralegals, and a full secretarial and office staff. Our goal is to provide our clients with an individualized approach to the handling of their particular legal matters. Our unique, client-centered philosophy ensures that we are able to provide the accessibility, efficiency, and personalized attention that are the hallmarks of a smaller firm. Under the leadership of our AV-rated attorneys, we have the capabilities and expertise to provide a full range of legal services, while offering the agility and responsiveness that can only come from a firm of our size.
To apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org